Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Sordid Case of Mr. Blue, Part II

As you will recall, dear reader, at the end of Part I, I was sitting on a sofa pinned between The Mrs. and Mr. Blue. Let me tell you, there is nothing quite like being sandwiched between two people caressing one other. As this awkward petting continued, it became clear that neither party was concerned for my comfort - or discomfort, as it were - or anyone else's. Mr. Blue even began to make happy little cooing sounds.

Have you ever found yourself frozen despite a desire to remove yourself from your position? Well, that was the case with me. I couldn't figure out a clear means of egress. I was simply paralyzed by the events surrounding me. And for some strange reason, I didn't want to be rude. Why I was concerned with causing offense, I'm not sure, as Mr. Blue clearly hadn't considered my feelings - or any one else's - before he started fondling The Mrs. in a room full of people, some of whom, including The Mrs., are his co-workers.

Luckily I was startled out of my trance by my friend L. When I realized she was tired (or at least feigning tiredness), I quickly jumped on the chance to escape. BB and C quickly agreed that it was time for the evening to come to a close (not surprisingly, I later learned that BB saw what was going on and was also looking for a means of retreat), and we all began heading for the door. As I had driven both The Mrs. and Mr. Blue, I was waiting for them to gather their things as well, but neither of them indicated they were moving in that direction. I asked if they were coming, and one of them (I honestly don't recall which one) said that The Mrs. could drive Mr. Blue to his car "later." I reminded them that both of their cars were still at the bar. At this point L headed outside in frustration, but I stayed as I felt strangely obligated to make sure they understood they had no car. When Mr. Blue suggested that they would just grab a cab to their cars later (again with the later), I threw up my hands in disgust and walked out.

I was flabbergasted. At what point did Mr. Blue convey his intentions to The Mrs.? How had his staying there become the plan? Had I missed some hand signals they were throwing at one another? Was an invitation for hanky panky subtly given via a little chest rub? How had this man gone from ogling me to molesting The Mrs. to acting like the man of the house?

I couldn't wrap my brain around it. Nor could BB, C or L. We all stood in the drive gaping at one another. Was the happily married The Mrs. really going to allow her co-worker to spend the night? Was Mr. Blue really going to take advantage of his intoxicated married co-worker ? Had I really been interested in this guy, even momentarily? Do I live in a world populated by crazy people? Have I suddenly entered cloud-cuckoo land?

Oh, but my dear readers, it does get worse.

No comments: